8 Tips on How to Prevent Frozen and Burst Pipes
Homeowners don’t want emergency plumbing problems to happen in their household. But it is a fact that this will really happen in some circumstances. If a problem arises, there are certain solutions that will help in fixing the problem as well as a preventive measure so not to let it occur again. One messy and troublesome situation that may happen inside your home is known as a burst pipe. This problem is alarming and may need professional repairs depending on the severity of the damage encountered. Also, as a responsible homeowner, there are some ways to prevent this burst pipe from happening again.
- Homeowners should be mindful of the plumbing system installed on their property. This is the best factor in understanding how plumbing at home works. This will also give you certain ideas on how to go about frozen or burst pipes in the future.
- Make it a habit to check the condition of your home plumbing at least twice a year. This will help in identifying any leaks that will be an impending threat for a burst pipe in the future.
- In most cases, burst or frozen pipes occur in extreme cold temperature or weather. If the weather outside is freezing cold, make it a point to leave at least two faucets running free flowing water. This will help in preventing water from freezing inside the pipelines.
- Common pipe set-ups at home are located near outside walls or near the windows. With this instance, it is best to direct some heat to that area so that the water inside the pipe won’t freeze up.
- It is best to disconnect outside hose from the faucet. This will prevent water to build up inside and froze thus damaging the device. Draining off the water will prevent water from freezing inside.
- With the help of technological innovations, there are available heat tapes that can be wrapped up in pipes in order to withstand extreme cold weathers. It is best that from the start of plumbing installations, you must pick your preference like that of heat tapes in your pipes.
- Thermostats are available at homes. It is advisable not to drop the temperature below 32 degrees in order to maintain a warm environment at home. This will also benefit pipes so freezing will not occur thus preventing any bursting from happening.
- It is best to consult the pros. This means that licensed plumbers are the best people to seek advice or help. License plumbers can deal with emergency plumbing problems like that of burst pipes. Make sure that in cases of emergency you already have a number to call to.
These are some tips, which homeowners, like you, must know right at hand. It is best to prevent a certain problem from happening repeated rather than letting the problem get worse as time goes by. There are a lot of tips that can help you go through your burst pipe problems. If you are equipped with initial solution tips or preventive methods, a burst pipe will occur less at your homes.